The August SRI news in the online press comes from India, Mali and Myanmar. India news originated from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, and Tamil Nadu as well as the northeastern states of Assam, Manipur and Nagaland. Below are short descriptions and links to the articles. (To find SRI news on a daily basis, see our SRI website or join the SRI-India Google Group).
MYANMAR: Researchers at Taungoo University are using SRI methods to grow rice on 50 acres of their 285-acre compound. In October or November they will share their experience with local farmers.
article: University conducting research into rice yield
August 16-22, 2010, MyanmarTimes
Andhra Pradesh: An ambitious target of 7,380 hectares has been fixed for SRI during this kharif in the district according to government officials. Each of the 1,995 Adarsha Ryuthus (progressive farmers) were asked to promote SRI in at least 31.50 acres.
article: Promote SRI paddy: Collector
August 28, 2010, The Hindu
Assam: After the April floods, Assam Agriculture Minister Pramila Rani Brahma said that an eight-point strategy was designed to make up for the losses caused by the floods. An SRI campaign was part of the strategy.
1) To rice and shine, Assam draws 8-point strategy
August 27, 2010, Indian Express
2) Less rainfall may hit rice production
August 12, 2010. The Assam Tribune
Bihar: The Bihar regional office of the National Agriculture Bank for Rural and Agriculture Development (Nabard) has sanctioned projects worth Rs 1.37 crore to mitigate the hardship caused by drought. The project looks to propagate the SRI amongst 4,480 farmers of Bhagalpur and Banka districts.
article: Nabard scheme balm on dry spell (republished on the SRI-Orissa site)
August 23, The Telegraph
Chhattisgarh: Mr. Dhansingh became a hero of Bastar Sevak Mandal in this khariff-2010 season for promoting SRI to 70 farmers in 3 villages.
article: SRI (System of Rice Intensification): Hero of Bastar Sevak Mandal In Kharif -2010
August 16, 2010, Bastar Sevak Mandal
Manipur: The Department of Agriculture, Farm Mechanisation Division, has set a target of distributing 4000 to 5000 Kono weeders for use in System of Rice Intensification method of cultivation.
article:Agriculture Dept sets a target of 5000 to distribute weeders
August 19, 2010, E-PAO [source: Sangai Express]
Nagaland: Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Tuensang held a launching programme on System of Rice Intensification technology in Tuensang district on August 13. Cono weeders were also distributed to the farmers under SRI demonstration project sponsored by NABARD, RO Dimapur and promoted by Krishi Vigyan Kendra Tuensang.
article: SRI technology launched in Tuensang
August 18, 2010, Nagaland Post
1) While on an inaugurating an organic farming awareness raising campaign in Ariyamangalam village in Tiruverambur panchayat, District Collector T. Soundiah said that during the current kuruvai season, paddy would be raised in 30,000 acres by adopting the SRI technique.
article: Create confidence among farmers
August 12, 2010, The Hindu
2) A farmer of Manaparavai in Kodavasal block in Tiruvarur district has developed an improvised drum seeder and an SRI marker for planting to overcome the problem faced while operating it in wet lands with clay soil of the Cauvery delta.
article: Farmer develops improvised drum seeder
August 26, 2010, The Hindu
Other articles promoting SRI in Tamil Nadu
3) TN must subsidise farm diesel: M.S.Swaminathan
August 17, 2010, Deccan Chronicle
4) SRI picks up steam in Perambalur, Ariyalur
Aug. 9, 2010, The Hindu
5) Stress on SRI to meet demand for foodgrains
Aug. 2, 2010, The Hindu
Other India articles:
1) RGMVP’s efforts for sustainable agriculture
August 4, 2010, Albertam
2) Significant Achievements Under NFSM
August 3, 2010, Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India
3) Increasing temperatures will take a toll on rice production in Asia: Rogue “Peer Review” Study
August 13, 2010, Rajan's Take: Climate Change
MALI: Systeme de Riziculture Intensif: Des experts sur le terrain
August 18, 2010, L'Essor (Mali)